Recap – 2019 Toyota Owner’s 400
April 16, 2019
Erik Jones and DEWALT Team Finish 14th at Richmond Raceway
Box Score Info:
Date: April 13, 2019
Event: Toyota Owners 400 (Round 9 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Track: Richmond Raceway (.75-mile Oval)
Format: 400 Laps (Stages: 100 laps / 100 laps / 200 laps)
Start/Finish: 35th/14th (Running, completed 400 of 400 laps)
Point Standings: 17th (212 points, 188 points out of 1st)
Race Winner: Martin Truex Jr.
Stage 1 Winner: Kyle Busch
Stage 2 Winner: Joey Logano
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-100)
· Erik Jones and the No. 20 DEWALT Toyota Camry team started the Toyota Owner’s 400 from the 35th position and finished stage one in 14th place.
· Qualifying in the second position, a failure in pre-race inspection resulted in the team starting from the 35th position for the 400-lap race at Richmond Raceway.
· With the race underway, Jones quickly started his move to the front, moving in to the top 20 before the competition caution on lap 40. Needing a little help with the handling of the DEWALT Camry, Jones pitted for four tires, fuel and an adjustment. The race restarted on lap 46 with Jones scored 18th.
· Running fast lap times, Jones was able to move up to 14th before the caution waved on lap 100 to end the stage. Continuing to be too tight, Jones pitted under the caution for four tires, fuel and another round of adjustments.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 101-200)
· Jones started the second stage from the 13th spot and finished the stage in eighth.
· The DEWALT team was able to gain several positions early in the stage to be in the eighth position when the caution waved on lap 127. The team opted to bring Jones to pit road for four tires, fuel and another round of adjustments to improve the handling of the DEWALT Camry. Jones restarted the race on lap 135 from sixth.
· The stage remained green until lap 200 when the caution flag was displayed to end stage two. Reporting that he was still way too tight, Jones pitted from the eighth position for four tires, fuel and a round of adjustments. With a slow stop, Jones restarted the race from 14th on lap 211.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 201 – 400)
· Jones started the final stage from the 14th position and crossed the finish line in the same spot.
· With the final stage underway, Jones was able to gain two spots to take over 12th before reporting on lap 240 he had a loose wheel. As the team prepared to make a green-flag pit stop, the caution waved for a single-car accident. Jones pitted for four tires, fuel and a set of adjustments. The race restarted on lap 252 with Jones 24th.
· Slowly making gains, Jones moved back in to the top 20 on lap 280 and was running in the 18th spot when the team made a scheduled green-flag stop on lap 315 for a routine stop.
· With the race remaining green for the remainder of the 400-lap event, Jones was able to move up to 14th when the checkered flag waved to end the Toyota Owners 400.
· Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Martin Truex Jr. won the race with teammate Denny Hamlin finishing fifth and teammate Kyle Busch finishing eighth.
Next Race: Teams now have their first off weekend of the season before heading to Talladega Superspeedway on Sunday, April 28, 2019. The race will be broadcast at 2:00 p.m. ET on FOX, Motor Racing Network (MRN) and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.