Recap – 2019 TicketGuardian 500
March 11, 2019
Erik Jones Finishes 29th at ISM Raceway
Box Score Info:
Date: March 10, 2019
Event: TicketGuardian 500 (Round 4 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Track: ISM Raceway (1-mile Oval)
Format: 267 Laps (Stages: 75 laps / 75 laps / 162 laps)
Start/Finish: 10th/29th (Running, completed 304 of 312 laps)
Point Standings: 14th (106 points, 71 points out of 1st)
Race Winner: Kyle Busch
Stage 1 Winner: Ryan Blaney
Stage 2 Winner: Kyle Busch
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-75)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 Reser’s Toyota Camry team started the TicketGuardian 500 at ISM Raceway from the 10th position and finished the first stage in 36th.
- With the race underway Sunday afternoon, Jones started the 312-lap event running consistent top-10 lap times.
- Unfortunately, Jones began reporting a possible issue on lap 25 and on lap 38 while running in the 12th position, Jones found himself sideways on the track after a mechanical issue caused a loose wheel. With the caution out, Jones pitted for the team to make repairs to the No. 20 Camry. Losing multiple laps while the team made repairs, Jones returned to the track in 36th, three laps down to the leaders.
- The caution waved again on lap 63 and the team opted to continue working on repairs to the No. 20 Camry. Following a lengthy trip to pit road, Jones was scored seven laps down to the leaders and finished the stage in 36th.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 75 – 150)
- Jones started the second stage from 36th and finished in the same position.
- With repairs made to the Reser’s Camry and Jones running strong lap times, the No. 20 team turned their focus to learning as much as they could for when teams return to ISM Raceway later this year.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 151 – 312)
- The No. 20 Reser’s team started the final stage from 36th and after gaining a few spots, crossed the finish line 29th.
- With a never give up attitude and some misfortune of their competitors, the No. 20 team was able to continue learning and gained several positions throughout the last stage to finish the race in the 29th position.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Kyle Busch won the race with teammates Martin Truex Jr. and Denny Hamlin finishing second and fifth, respectively.
Next Race: Teams now head to Auto Club Speedway for the final race of NASCAT’s “West Coast Swing” and the fifth race of the 2019 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series season. The race will be broadcast live Sunday, March 17, at 3:30 p.m. ET on FOX and aired on Motor Racing Network (MRN) and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.