Recap – 2019 Quaker State 400 at Kentucky Speedway
July 15, 2019
Strong Third-Place Finish for Erik Jones and CRAFTSMAN Team at Kentucky Speedway
Box Score Info:
Date: July 13, 2019
Event: Quaker State 400 (Race 19 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Track: Kentucky Speedway (1.5-mile Oval)
Format: 267 Laps (Stages: 80 laps / 160 laps / 267 laps)
Start/Finish: 21st/3rd (Completed 269 of 269 laps)
Point Standings: 16th (473 points, 273 points out of 1st)
Race Winner: Kurt Busch
Stage 1 Winner: Kurt Busch
Stage 2 Winner: Kyle Busch
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-80)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 CRAFTSMAN Toyota Camry team started the Quaker State 400 at Kentucky Speedway from the 21st position and finished stage one 19th.
- Racing under the lights Saturday night, Jones struggled early in the 267-lap event with a fast Camry, but lacked track position. Unable to advance through the field, Jones was running in the 16th positon when the first caution waved on lap 48. Crew chief Chris Gayle called Jones to pit road for right-side tires and fuel. The race restarted on lap 52 with the 20 team in the 11th position.
- Stuck in the bottom lane and with several cautions late in the stage, Jones slipped to 19th when the caution waved on lap 80 to end stage one. The team called Jones to pit road for left-side tires and fuel under the caution break.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 81-160)
- Jones started stage two from 11th and ended the stage second.
- The race restarted on lap 86 with Jones dropping from 11th to 17th in the first 10 green-flag laps of the stage. With the handling of the CRAFTSMAN Camry coming around under the long green-flag run, Jones was running lap times comparable to the top five as he began picking off one competitor at a time to move in to the top 10 halfway through the stage.
- Moving up to third, Jones made a scheduled green-flag pit stop on lap 146 for right-side tires, fuel and an adjustment.
- Once the field cycled through green-flag pit stops, Jones was scored second when the stage ended on lap 160. Jones pitted for left-side tires, fuel and a small adjustment to help with the tight-handling condition.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 101-127)
- Jones started the final stage from sixth and finished the race in third.
- The final stage of the Quaker State 400 started on lap 166 with Jones scored sixth, where he remained when the caution waved on lap 179. Once the race returned to green-flag conditions, Jones advanced to fourth before making a scheduled green-flag stop on lap 216 for right-side tires, fuel and adjustments.
- Jones retuned to the track in the 16th position, but was able to cycle out to third once the field completed pit stops.
- The last caution of the race came on lap 261 forcing the race in to overtime. Restarting the race from third on lap 267, Jones made a three-wide move for the lead, but unable to clear the Busch brother duo, Jones settled in to third where he finished the race.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammates Kyle Busch finished second, Denny Hamlin finished fifth and Martin Truex, Jr. finished 19th.
ERIK JONES, No. 20 CRAFTSMAN Toyota Camry, Joe Gibbs Racing
Finishing Position: 3rd
How much did you have to overcome tonight?
“A lot early. We just didn’t have the track position. We qualified not where we wanted to and had to work back from that. Right from the start I knew that the Craftsman Camry was pretty good. I felt comfortable in practice in race trim. Just had to work back from it and it took until the second stage to get up there and we were finally in position and got some good restarts and some good pit stops and got up in contention on the last restart. You can’t ask for much more. You want to be there and want to have a shot. We did that. We just didn’t have quite enough car and didn’t have quite the right circumstances, but good day overall.”
Next Race: Teams now head to New Hampshire Motor Speedway on Sunday, July 21, 2019 for the Foxwoods Casino 301. The race is scheduled to start at 3:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.