Recap – 2019 Geico 500
April 29, 2019
Erik Jones Finishes 19th at Talladega Superspeedway
Box Score Info:
Date: April 28, 2019
Event: Geico 500 (Round 10 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Track: Talladega Superspeedway (2.66-mile Oval)
Format: 188 Laps (Stages: 55 laps / 55 laps / 78 laps)
Start/Finish: 27th/19th (Running, completed 188 of 188 laps)
Point Standings: 18th (230 points, 200 points out of 1st)
Race Winner: Chase Elliott
Stage 1 Winner: Ty Dillon
Stage 2 Winner: Chase Elliott
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-55)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 STANLEY Toyota team started 27th and finished stage one 18th.
- With an unapproved adjustment on race morning, Jones had to drop to the back of the field for the start of the race, but wasted no time making his way in to the top 10.
- Jones was able to run as high as fifth before having to pit with one lap left in the stage for fuel. The caution waved on lap 55 to end the stage and Jones pitted for four tires and fuel. Penalized for pitting on lap 54 when pit road was closed, the No. 20 Toyota Camry team had to restart the race on lap 60 from the 26th position.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 56-110)
- Jones started the second stage from the 26th spot and finished the stage in 15th.
- With the stage staying green, Jones made a green-flag pit stop on lap 91 for fuel only and was able to run in the top 10 before the caution waved on lap 110 to end the stage. The team pitted from 15th for four tires and fuel. The final stage of the race started on lap 116 with Jones scored 10th.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 111-188)
- Jones started the final stage from the 10th position and crossed the finish line with a 19th-place finish.
- The caution waved on lap 131 for debris and the team opted to pit from the sixth position for right-side tires and fuel. With a fast stop and teams on varying strategies, Jones was able to take the lead for the lap 136 restart.
- On lap 155, crew chief Chris Gayle called Jones to pit road for a green-flag stop. Unfortunately, the car pitting behind Jones missed his pit box and stopped in the No. 20 team’s stall resulting in a slow stop and the No. 20 team losing the lead draft. Jones was able to team up with three other cars to keep from losing a lap as the laps ticked off in the 500-mile race.
- The caution flag, and eventual red flag, were displayed on lap 181 for a multi-car accident. Once the red flag was lifted, Jones was able to pit for four tires and fuel. The race restarted on lap 184 with Jones scored 19th.
- Making moves to get back to the front, Jones had contact to the rear of the No. 20 Camry from a competitor on lap 185 and spun on the track. No caution was displayed and with little damage, Jones continued in the race.
- With multiple cars wrecking on the final lap, Jones was able to gain several spots to salvage a 19th-place finish.
- Jones led one time for four laps.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Kyle Busch finished 10th with Martin Truex, Jr. finishing 20th and Denny Hamlin finishing 36th.
Next Race: Teams now head to Dover International Speedway on Sunday, May 5, 2019. The race will be broadcast at 2:00 p.m. ET on Fox Sports 1, Motor Racing Network (MRN) and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.