Recap – 2019 Food City 500
April 8, 2019
Erik Jones Finishes 24th at Bristol Motor Speedway
Box Score Info:
Date: April 7, 2019
Event: Food City 500 (Round 8 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Track: Bristol Motor Speedway (.533-mile Oval)
Format: 500 Laps (Stages: 125 laps / 250 laps / 500 laps)
Start/Finish: 5th/24th (Running, completed 497 of 500 laps)
Point Standings: 17th (186 points, 175 points out of 1st)
Race Winner: Kyle Busch
Stage 1 Winner: Ty Dillon
Stage 2 Winner: Joey Logano
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-125)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 CRAFTSMAN “Racing for a Miracle” Toyota Camry team rolled off fifth for the Food City 500 and finished stage one in the 25th position.
- Quickly after the green-flag waved, the caution was displayed for a multi-car accident. Jones opted to stay out and restarted the race from second on lap eight.
- The caution again waved on lap 38 and crew chief Chris Gayle made the decision to pit for four tires and fuel. Jones restarted the race from fourth on lap 45 and took over the lead on lap 48. Unfortunately, a loose tire brought Jones to pit road under green on lap 58. The unscheduled stop dropped the team two laps down to the 30th position.
- The stage ended on lap 125 with Jones scored 25th, two laps down.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 126-250)
- Jones started the second stage from 25th and was able to advance to 18th by the end of the stage.
- Focused on getting back on the lead lap, Jones took the “wave around” under the lap 209 caution to restart the race from 22nd on lap 217, one lap down to the leaders.
- Battling several cars for the ‘Lucky Dog’ position, Jones was able to take over the position on lap 232 when he moved in to 19th.
- The stage ended on lap 250 with Jones scored 18th as the first car one lap down. Under the caution, Jones was able to return to the lead lap as the “Lucky Dog” recipient and after making a scheduled stop for four tires and fuel, restarted the race from 16th on lap 260.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 251 – 500)
- For the final stage, the CRAFTSMAN team restarted the race from 16th and crossed the finish line in 24th.
- Back on the lead lap and plenty of time to get to the front, Jones was focused on picking off one car at a time. With the top 10 in site, Jones was running 13th when he radioed the team on lap 318 that he had a loose wheel and again pitted under green. The unscheduled stop dropped the team to 21st, two laps down to the leaders.
- With another issue on the right rear, Jones was forced to pit again on lap 339 and fell to the 24th position, five laps down to the leaders.
- Jones was able to gain two of his laps back, but finished the race in 24th, three laps down to the leaders.
- Jones led one time for 10 laps.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Kyle Busch won the race with Denny Hamlin finishing fifth and Martin Truex, Jr. finishing 17th.
Next Race: Teams now head to Richmond Raceway for the Toyota Owners 400 on Saturday, April 13, 2019. The race will be broadcast at 7:30 p.m. ET on FOX, Motor Racing Network (MRN) and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.