Recap 2019 – Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Race
August 19, 2019
Erik Jones Finishes 22nd at Bristol Motor Speedway
Box Score Info:
Date: August 17, 2019
Event: Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Race (Race 24 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Track: Bristol Motor Speedway (.533-mile Oval)
Format: 500 Laps (Stages: 125 laps / 250 laps / 500 laps)
Start/Finish: 9th/22nd (Completed 495 of 500 laps)
Point Standings: 14th (646 points, 286 points out of 1st)
Race Winner: Denny Hamlin
Stage 1 Winner: Kyle Larson
Stage 2 Winner: Kurt Busch
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-125)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 STANLEY Toyota Camry team started the Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Race at Bristol Motor Speedway from the ninth position and finished stage one seventh.
- Rolling off for Saturday night’s race from the ninth position, Jones settled in to the top 10 before reporting to crew chief Chris Gayle that he had no grip and needed help with the handling to the No. 20 Camry. The caution waved on lap 80, giving the team their first opportunity to adjust on the STANLEY Camry. Jones pitted for four tires, fuel and adjustments. With a solid stop, Jones restarted the 500-lap race from eighth on lap 87.
- Jones was able to gain one position before the stage ended on lap 125 finishing stage one seventh. Reporting he was a little tight, Jones pitted for four tires, fuel and adjustments during the stage break.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 126-250)
- Jones started stage two from eighth and ended the stage in seventh.
- The race restarted on lap 136 with Jones scored eighth.
- Making his way as high as fourth during the stage, Jones made two pit stops under yellow-flag conditions during the stage for fresh tires, fuel and to continue working on the tight-handling condition of the STANLEY Camry.
- The stage ended on lap 250 and with Jones only having two green-flag laps on his Goodyear tires, Gayle made the decision to stay out under the caution to have a better starting position for the final stage of the race.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 251-500)
- Jones started the final stage from fourth and finished the race in 22nd.
- With a fast Camry, Jones moved in to second on lap 361 before the caution waved on lap 362. Gayle called Jones to pit road for four tires, fuel and adjustments. The race restarted on lap 371 with Jones in second and he quickly took the lead before the caution waved one lap later.
- Jones led the field back to green on lap 387 and on lap 398 while battling for the lead, made contact with the outside wall. A flat tire and damage to the No. 20 STANLEY Camry forced Jones to pit road under green-flag conditions for fresh tires and to make repairs. Jones returned to the track three laps down to the leaders.
- Continuing to run laps, Jones was able to cross the finish line in 22nd, five laps down to the leaders.
- Jones led the race one time for 23 laps.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Denny Hamlin won the race with Kyle Busch finishing fourth and Martin Truex, Jr. 13th.
Next Race: Teams now have their final off-weekend of the year before returning to action at Darlington Raceway on Sunday, September 1, 2019, for the Bojangles’ Southern 500. The race is scheduled to start at 6:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN, MRN and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.