Recap – 2018 Hollywood Casino 400
October 22, 2018
Erik Jones Has Strong Run at Kansas Speedway, Finishes Fourth
Box Score Info:
RACE: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series – Hollywood Casino 400
TRACK: Kansas Speedway
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 CRAFTSMAN Toyota Camry
POINTS STANDINGS: 14th
- Scoring the sixth starting position for the Hollywood Casino 400 at Kansas Speedway, Erik Jones and the No. 20 CRAFTSMAN Toyota Camry team had a strong car all race and finished the 267-lap event in the fourth position.
- With Joey Logano leading the field to green Sunday afternoon, Jones settled in to his position and focused on the leaders. Reporting that his Camry wasn’t handling the best in traffic, Jones made his first stop of the day on lap 39 under green-flag conditions for four tires and fuel.
- The first caution waved on lap 56 for a blown motor on the No. 24 car. Under the caution, Jones pitted from eighth for four tires, fuel and a set of adjustments. The race resumed on lap 64 with Jones in the 15th position. Taking advantage of every position, Jones was scored eighth when the caution waved on lap 80 to end stage one. With the handling of the CRAFTSMAN Camry better during the previous run, Jones pitted for four tires, fuel and another small adjustment. The race restarted on lap 86 with Jones 15th.
- With stage two setting up for a long green-flag run, teams were forced to make another round of green-flag stops. Crew chief Chris Gayle called Jones to pit road on lap 121 for a routine stop. Once the field cycled through green-flag stops, Jones returned to the top 10 and was scored in the seventh position when the stage ended on lap 160. Pretty happy with the handling of the CRAFTSMAN Camry, Jones pitted again for a routine four tire and fuel stop. The race restarted for the final time on lap 166 with the No. 20 team scored 12th.
- Running some of the fastest laps of the field, Jones focused on passing one car at a time. With a strong Camry, Jones was able to move back in to the top 10 on lap 200 and made his final stop of the race under green-flag conditions on lap 213. Continuing to move forward, Jones was able to move in to the top five on lap 242 and over the closing laps, gained one more position to finish the race in fourth place.
- Chase Elliott won the race followed by Kyle Busch, Kyle Larson, Jones and Martin Truex, Jr.
- Up next for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series is the short track of Martinsville Speedway on Sunday, October 28, 2018.
Talk about your top-five finish today.
“It was good. We had a really fast car. Our CRAFTSMAN Camry was I think a car that could have contended for the win. We just struggled on pit road. We lost a lot of spots and it just took a long time to get them back. That long green run helped us at the end and we were able to pick them up and get back towards the front, but not enough time. Good car. Just got to keep working and keep getting closer.”