Recap – 2018 AAA Texas 500
November 5, 2018
Strong Run for Erik Jones and Sport Clips Team at Texas Motor Speedway with Fourth-Place Finish
Box Score Info:
RACE: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series – AAA Texas 500
TRACK: Texas Motor Speedway
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 Sport Clips Toyota Camry
POINTS STANDINGS: 13th
- For the second time this season, the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series competed at Texas Motor Speedway where Erik Jones and the No. 20 Sport Clips Toyota Camry team qualified in the 12th position and after a solid day, earned a fourth-place finish.
- With the AAA Texas 500 underway at Texas Motor Speedway Sunday afternoon, Jones moved in to the top 10 before the scheduled competition caution on lap 30. Crew chief Chris Gayle called Jones to pit road for fuel and right-side tires. With teams on varying pit strategies, Jones restarted the race on lap 36 from the third position. The race remained green until lap 85 when the caution flag waved to end stage one. During the caution, Jones reported that he was a little tight and the team made the call to pit from third for four tires, fuel and a round of adjustments. Following a solid pit stop, Jones restarted the race and stage two from the third spot on lap 92.
- Following a quick caution at the start of stage two, the remainder of the stage ran caution free until lap 160 when the caution flag was displayed to signal the end of stage two. During the long green-flag run in stage two, Jones made a green-flag stop on lap 124 for four tires, fuel and adjustments. After the green-flag stop, Jones reported his Sport Clips Camry was too lose. The team opted to pit at the end of the stage for four tires, fuel and to reverse the previous adjustments to help with handling. The final stage of the race started on lap 176 with Jones in the 10th position.
- Struggling on the restart, but settling in after about 10 green-flag laps, Jones was able to move the No. 20 Camry up to seventh before the caution waved on lap 224 for teammate Daniel Suarez. Pitting for four tires, fuel and adjustments, Jones restarted the race on lap 230 from 11th. Focused on making his way to the front, Jones moved up to sixth before making a green-flag pit stop on lap 281. Once the field cycled through green-flag stops, Jones was scored fifth. With several late-race cautions, including the final caution that forced the race in to overtime, Jones was able to continue improving and crossed the finish line solidly in the fourth position.
- The finish marked Jones second fourth-place finish at the track this season and his ninth top-five finish of the year.
- Kevin Harvick won the race followed by Ryan Blaney, Joey Logano, Jones and Kyle Larson to round out the top five.
- With two races left in the 2018 season, teams now head to ISM Raceway in Phoenix, Arizona for the Can-Am 500(k) on Sunday, November 11.
Post-Race Thoughts: Erik Jones
How do you feel about your solid race today?
“It was good. Our Sport Clips Camry was pretty fast and had okay speed. Just didn’t have the fire-off speed that we needed to contend there the last short runs, but a good day for us. Running top-five, top-10 – we kind of know what we need to work on to get a little bit more to get up there with the 4 (Kevin Harvick), the 12 (Ryan Blaney) and those guys. We’ll go to work. Texas has been a good place so hopefully we can come back in the spring and get a win.”