Reser’s Second Annual “America’s Best Potato Salad Challenge” Winners
15 finalists. $10,000. 1 grand prize.
For the second year, Reser’s was on the hunt to find the country’s best potato salad. Competitive BBQ teams and amateur home cooks from across the nation answered our challenge. The results were nothing short of spud-tacular.
Reser’s invited 15 finalists to Las Vegas to compete at The World Food Championships hosted by The Food Network star chef Ben Vaughn. We were thrilled to have several celebrity chefs lend their palates—and good humor – to our judging panel including Whitney Miller (“Master Chef” winner) and Food Network Star alums Emily Ellyn and Vic Vegas.
The streets of downtown Las Vegas were transformed into an amazing outdoor kitchen, where the finalists whipped up their winning recipes. We are pleased to announce this year’s grand prize winner is Jan L. from Oklahoma. Her “Bacon Artichoke Potato Salad” wowed the judges with its marinated artichoke hearts, crunchy bacon and incredible flavor. Keep scrolling for her amazing $10,000 recipe!
Thanks to everyone who participated in this year’s event!
Prize Money Winners
1. Jan L. Bacon Artichoke Potato Salad
2. Mark H. Garlic Roasted New Potato Salad
3. Nancy J. Spicy Tex-Mex Chili Cheese Potato Salad
4. Sherri W. Lemony Chimichurri Grilled Medley Potato Salad
5. Mark B. Picnic Potato Salad
6. David F. Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad
Jan's Winning Bacon Artichoke Potato Salad
- 2 pounds red potatoes - quartered
(for average size bites)
- 2 Tablespoons bacon drippings (warmed)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1-4 oz. can green chiles
- 2 Tablespoons chopped green onions
(green tops only)
- 1-7.5 oz. Jar (drained) marinated artichoke hearts (coarsely chopped)
- 3/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Kosher/sea salt (split)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 6 slices pre-cooked bacon, or can fry bacon
or use real bacon bits
Step 1 Place whole potatoes and 1 Tablespoon salt in large pan, cover with water, bring to a boil then lower to medium heat until cooked through.
Step 2 While potatoes are cooking, mix all other ingredients (except bacon slices/bits) together in a large bowl (using the remaining 1 TBS. of salt).
Step 3 Once potatoes are done, drain water and let sit for about a minute. While potatoes are still hot, cut into average size bites and then add them directly to the mixture. Coat potatoes, mixing well. Refrigerate, covered or in large zip lock bag, 4-5 hours, best if left over night. Before serving, cook/chop bacon and use as garnish on top of the potato salad. Serve cold.
* = Required field